Learning happens every day: you learn of a current event on the news; you learn a new word in a foreign language; you learn that the market is closed on Sundays. Some learning requires more focus and attention (for example, certain English grammatical structures). In these instances, a plan for learning becomes beneficial. Here are some learning strategies that you can apply to a large span of daily learning activities:
- Repetition – You rarely learn something the first time you are told; repetition is crucial to almost any learning.
- Practice – There are specific times the brain needs reinforcement; if you practice at the following intervals, learning and memory can be drastically enhanced:
- (1 min, 10 min, 1 hour, 5 hours, 1 day, 2 days, 4 days, 8 days, etc.)
- Patterns – Find and employ patterns in learning (apply a rule, follow it).
- Teach – If you can teach it to someone else, you have a good understanding of the subject.
- Motivation – Make learning intrinsic/personal to you. Do it to be the best you can, do it for competition with yourself or with others – do it for yourself, because of yourself.
- Prepare – Pretend that you have to give a presentation, a recital, a report on the material itself.
- Goal-Setting – Work to achieve something in increments; setting and accomplishing small goals is an excellent way to break down a large or seemingly-impossible task into more manageable steps.
A Varied Approach
- Learning-Styles – Know your preferred learning style (visual, auditory, kinesthetic). Transform the subject material to a style of your choice.
- Variety – Mix up the means for instruction/teaching style.
- If you are practicing foreign vocabulary, translate to the foreign language; translate from the foreign language; translate from listening; practice speaking; write down from listening; prepare a writing sample; etc.
- Media – Mix up the media. Consider games, music, movies, etc. This keeps your learning sharp and well-rounded as well as keeping you interested.
Just a few Hints, Tips and Tricks from Education Gateway to make your learning fun, to keep you motivated and to have you make the most of your Learnings with Education Gateway!